Computer Science - Key Stage 4
This qualification will build on the knowledge, understanding and skills established through the Computer Science elements of the Key Stage 3 programme of study. The content has been designed not only to allow for a solid basis of understanding but to engage learners and get them thinking about real world application.
OCR’s GCSE (9–1) J277 specification in Computer Science encourages learners to be inspired, and challenged through completing a coherent, satisfying and worthwhile course of study. The specification will help learners to gain an insight into related sectors. It will prepare learners to make informed decisions about further learning opportunities and career choices.
Computer Science is an EBACC subject
Please note that this is NOT a traditional ICT qualification. This qualification requires a great deal of mathematics, problem solving, computational and algorithmic thinking, writing and debugging code, decomposing problems down into their simplest forms. Students with a high level of aptitude in mathematics are well suited to this course.
OCR’s GCSE (9–1) in Computer Science will encourage learners to:
- Understand and apply the fundamental principles and concepts of Computer Science, including abstraction, decomposition, logic, algorithms, and data representation
- Analyse problems in computational terms through practical experience of solving such problems, including designing, writing and debugging programs
- Think creatively, innovatively, analytically, logically and critically
- Understand the components that make up digital systems, and how they communicate with one another and with other systems
- Understand the impacts of digital technology to the individual and to wider society
- Apply mathematical skills relevant to Computer Science
Where do I go from here?
This course will provide excellent progression to A-Level Computer Science and on to a degree level course in the areas of computing, engineering and science. It will also provide a sound preparatory basis for studying industry standard IT qualifications as well as providing the knowledge, skills and understanding that a growing number if employers are demanding.